Thursday, March 22, 2007

Greg Laurie's Message About Contentment

The Key to Contentment

Now godliness with contentment is great gain.
1 Timothy 6:6


As you begin to know God's love and purpose for you, you can live a life that is unending—even overflowing. It is life as it was meant to be lived. This is exactly what David meant when he said, "The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want" (Psalm 23:1).

Have you been able to say that? Have you been able to say, "Lord, if You want to give me more, fine. If you don't want to, fine. I shall not want, because I have found my contentment in You."

The apostle Paul found that contentment. He said he was content, regardless of his circumstances (see Philippians 4:11–12). But how many of us have thought, I would be content if I just had a little more money. . . . I would be content if I just got that promotion. . . . I would be content if I just got married. . . . We never quite reach that place of contentment, however. We are always looking for something just a little beyond what we have.

There are certain things that only God can give. And when you are in a relationship with Him in which you say, "The Lord is my Shepherd," you can say with David, "I shall not want."

In fact, only the person who has said, "The Lord is my Shepherd" can say, "I shall not want." Our contentment does not come from what we have. It comes from Whom we know. Hebrews 13:5 tells us, "Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, 'I will never leave you nor forsake you.' "

So when you get down to it, everything you need in life is found in a relationship with God.


Greg Laurie [Signature]

No comments: